Friday, June 15, 2012

Album Review - Scissor Sisters "Magic Hour"

I know this album has been out for a bit now, but I'm still playing catch up from my mini-vacation, so humor me for a moment. Before we get started on this magical (hah!) journey, let me just say Scissor Sisters may be the most genius pop act ever. Seriously.




 I don't know how to put into words the scope of this album. I have always loved this group, but they have raised the bar for what pop music should be. They have that spark that made The Bee Gees and ABBA famous, that quirky spark that makes them stand out from a sea of albums that clutter the market these days. Unfortunately, the United States, for the most part, seems to be oblivious to just how great they are.

The entire album is so sexually charged that it seeps from every lyric. "Keep Your Shoes", a song about doing it quickly, is the perfect example of this. The song also incorporates the group's signature airy and drawn out vocals that make the group so distinctive. Along the same lines, the dual connotations of the song "Inevitable" leave a smile lingering on your face while trying to decipher exactly what they are trying to tell the listener.

"Only The Horses" is certainly the crown jewel of this album. The beautiful piano backing juxtaposed to the new age dance beat drive this track straight to my heart. I had originally picked this song as a "Song of the Week", and ever since it has been at the top of all of my playlists. The song is a far cry from what the rest of the album holds in store for the listeners, but it is a great taste of what we have come to love from this iconic group.

The group takes my love for them to a whole new level with the song "Let's Have A Kiki". This song is dripping with gayness, and it is fabulous. Words like "Werk" and "Serve" are tossed in at every turn, making this a drag queen's paradise. They explain "kiki" to be a party, but the only "kiki" I know of would be a bit less party and a bit more body on body contact.

If I had to single out a flaw with the album, it may actually be that it is a bit too ahead of it's time. The wonky beats, sexual lyrics, and unconventional vocals might turn some people off before they give it a chance. These songs aren't the upbeat, mindless pop dribble of the current state of music (that I am so deeply in love with as well), they are on a different level -- in a different world entirely.

There is not another album out so far this year I could recommend you try over "Magic Hour." The Universal Conquest Awards will be making an appearance again in December, and you can expect this to make several categories. Check it out for yourself on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment