Friday, June 1, 2012

Album Review - Manika "The Middle Of Hollywood"

It's been so long! Too long, actually. It has been nearly a year since we last saw Manika on iTunes, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's not been working hard. Now a touring pro, Manika is the opening act for the current One Direction tour, and given they are the next big thing as far as the (what I believed to be extinct) boy band craze goes. Thankfully, being in the spotlight again has given us the chance to get re-acquainted with this singer with her debut EP, "The Middle Of Hollywood".


The new resurfacing fad known as the EP has a lot of pros and cons. On the plus side, it generally means the music gets out faster and is more precise as far as the message and musical tone the artist (or label) is going for. On the negative, it means that you only have four to six tracks on average to impress your listeners, which can be a daunting task. Thankfully, Manika's debut EP has far more going for it than against it.

The opening track, titled "Funny" is the song I would introduce anybody to her. This song really grasps her youthful approach to rock-pop that is present throughout all of her to-date music. She sounds young, mostly because she is, but manages to keep away from the more juvenile subjects. This song is all about laughing at those trying to put you down, finding it funny how badly they want you to fail. I love how this song shows that you can have a positive message geared (more-so) towards a younger audience without resorting to dribble.

"Just Can't Let You Go" was released last June, and became an instant love for me. The song is made of pure summer, giving me thoughts of crazy hot days and fun top-down car rides with blaring music. Even a year later the song holds up and is an enjoyable listen. Being so old, however, I really wish that she had done something special to it. From what I can tell, this is the exact same mix as the single from last year. Perhaps a new guest rapper/singer or a new verse to justify buying the song again (for those who have been following her all this time, at least).

The official single off of the EP is "Good Girls", which is one of the most polished of the lot. This song is used as the core of the entire release, even having the title of the EP as a lyric. The lyrics are actually what had me loving this song through and through. Lines like "I'm a good girl and I deserve a nice boyfriend" and "Good girls go home because good sucks" make this song just as playful as it is catchy. I'm really hoping she does something amazing with this song, whether it be a music video or a remix EP. I need more of this one in my life.

"Woo Hoo" is a bit of a different taste. It has a distinct 90's feel-good beat. Anybody who knows my musical taste knows that this just isn't my forte, so I really didn't find a lot of appeal with this track. I don't feel like this is the best that Manika has to offer.

Luckily, I wasn't disappointed for long. The last track, "Take A Little, Give A Little", is a remix only song, leaving the original somewhere in Limbo. This is not bad news at all, mostly because this remix is done by Jump Smokers. They always turn it out, and this song is no exception. The excitement hearing them whisper "Jump Smokers" is only second to Dev stuttering "I-i-it's the Cataracs". The beat is very ambitious, and Manika's voice fits right in.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this EP. It was obviously aimed at an audience younger than myself, but I do believe that it can be loved by people of any age. Her voice is distinctive, her songs have a message, and she is quite adorable. Oh yeah, and she's buddy-buddy with One Direction. I'd say that she is now well on her way to becoming a big name in the pop world. I hope to see her grow both musically and lyrically as she expands to wider audiences. She is on the right track, for now.

You can buy the EP (for only five dollars!) on iTunes. For some reason if you have bought "Just Can't Let You Go", iTunes is not doing their standard "complete my album" bit. Thankfully, the album is cheap, and it actually will be more expensive if you buy the tracks individually, so it's not to big of a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment