Wednesday, September 14, 2011

MYPHNH(BS) - JohnBoyCool

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't really care that much for rap music. That is why I have to hide it in between electronic and dance beats, and toss in some autotune. Sound familiar? No I'm not talking about Ke$ha again (She needs to release a new single, but that's another story). I am talking about newcomer JohnBoyCool. Not exactly techno and not exactly rap, this guy knows how to work it, and best of all, he's doing it all for free!


I can't even accurately explain why I like this guy so much. The lyrics themselves aren't complex and he sounds like he is singing through a T-Pain mic half the time, but it just works. The synth beats paired with his ability to flow off songs in league with today's best rappers is pretty impressive. I don't usually buy into the whole rap scene, but something about this guy is different. Calling himself the son of "Morticia Adamas", he sure did get my attention real quick.

I didn't expect much from the EP. Usually when I grab free music off the internet, it is just a few rough demos that don't sound in the least bit professional. This, however, was not the case. These tracks are very polished and professional sounding. This unexpected surprise started the fire that is quickly becoming an obsession with this new artist.

His debut EP "Too Cool 4 School Vol. 1" is available for free streaming on Soundcloud as well as for download in full. Built around the idea of being in high school, a lot of the songs deal with him being in school while still trying to party. Songs like "King of the Parking Lot" may sound like some immature Lil Bow Wow song, but in reality, he's being rather dirty about -- threesomes and all. His frank attitude towards his life experiences and inability to sugar coat anything make his songs feel more real.

King of the Parking Lot (Produced by The Klassiks) by JohnBoyCOOL

The idea of releasing your music in the beginning stages for free is a brilliant idea and a way to gain quick fans. He certainly won me over by offering top notch music free of charge. It takes me back to artists like Colette Carr, who gained tons of fans by releasing her debut mix tape for free. It also doesn't hurt that there isn't a single crap song on the album. Every one of these songs are party ready, which was no mistake. JohnBoy's attitude is pure party -- pure patron.

If I had to put him in a category, it would be grouped with LMFAO in this new electro-rap movement, but even that doesn't set well with me. He is his own style. A little Ke$ha, a bit of LMFAO, a dash of Lil Wayne. This all melds together to make a really great style of fun music that you can dance to, as well as still come off pretty sick rapping to.

You gotta check this guy out. With less than two hundred fans on Facebook, I'm sure he would appreciate it. That may not be a fair assessment, though, seeing as everything is moving to Twitter now, but even there he only has around four thousand followers. Let's fix that, no? You can download his album for free on his website here. Oh and did I mention he is having another EP coming out next month. Straight from the man on Twitter -- "Sunday School" will drop on Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment