Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Awkward Sing Along Song - In The Dark

I've had this song for a while. I bought it when it first came out, and since then I've not really known what to do with it. It came out at a time when there was such an influx of good music breaking through, which is probably why it is just now getting radio play. Something about the song is just so off putting. I like it, well, at least I think I like it. Something is just weird about the song... Oh yeah. It has really awkward lyrics.


(Warning: Lots of pictures and awkward lyrics under the cut)

Oh, Dev, what were you thinking. I mean sure, making up words like "slizzard" and "sizurp" is kinda weird, but your latest song takes the cake. "In the Dark" (no, not the much catchier Lady Gaga tune) is just a mess of words that make very little sense. Lets take it from the top.

"On my waist, through my hair/Think about it when you touch me there" 
Ok. From the start this thing just doesn't cut it. What exactly are we supposed to be thinking of while we are petting your hair? Maybe she'll explain in the next line.


"Close my eyes, here you are/All alone dancing in the dark."
Not only does she not elaborate on the previous topic, but she also contradicts herself. She says he's there, but also that he's not there. I mean, really? Sometimes being mysterious can be cool, but you gotta know what you are doing.



"Tell me baby if it’s wrong to let my hands do what they want?"
Well, Dev, that really depends. What are you planning to do? If your hands are wanting to make a sandwich or do things in the privacy of your own room, then by all means go ahead. Now, if your hands wish to murder someone, well then, yes, that is wrong. Do you see my problem here?

" Late at night I pretend we are dance-dance-dancing in the dark"  
Apparently she is now delusional. Wow. Moving on.

"When you work on me/Open my body up and do some surgery"
Either this guy she is dating is a surgeon or she is just bad with metaphors. I have heard of people saying that people could see through them with their look or dissect them, but really? Surgery? Uhg.


"Now that you got me up/I wanna taste it/And see those pocket aces."
 I'm not really sure what to say about this one. Apparently he woke her up to make her taste something? And play cards? Really. Where is this song going? I am trying to wrack my brain to figure out what this song means at all. I listen to a lot of songs with some stupid lyrics, but at least they make sense most of the time. I can get more out of a Koda Kumi song! And she sings in Japanese!



"I got a sex drive to push the start" 
Did she pull words out of a hat for this? "Ok, we drew out sex, drive, push, and start. How can we make a line for this song out of these?" 


"I love to flirt to see/I’m only talking to you if you wanna surf my seas."
First of all, let me point out that in the actual song it sounds like she is saying "If you wanna suck my seed". Now that I know what it really says, I feel slightly better about this song. That being said, it still doesn't make the lyrics any better. Is this a poor sex metaphor?


In the end I'm left thinking "What is the point of this song?" The lyrics really seem to go nowhere. Is the song about sex, much like the much more popular "Dance In The Dark" by Gaga? Is it simply about dancing in the dark while dreaming about this guy that apparently is never there. I'm just not sure why I even like this song.


"I-I-I-It's the Cataracts"
It all makes sense now.


No comments:

Post a Comment