Thursday, June 23, 2011

Original V.S. Cover - Running Up That Hill

So a few friends of mine lately have been complaining about my impressive collection of cover songs. I don't really see the bad thing about cover songs; they bring music and emotions to people who may not have heard of the singer/band or may not listen to the style of music it was originally created in. So I decided to do a side by side comparison of my covers with their original versions. For the first go around, I chose a song that, up until a few weeks ago, I didn't know was even a cover.




First up we have the original. Kate Bush released this song waaaay back in 1985. I wasn't even alive then, so I hope it's forgivable that I've never given this song a chance until now. The song was the lead single for her album "Hounds of Love". When I first listened to the song, I hated it. I really wondered how this song peaked at number 3. Was 1985 a bad year for the UK pop scene? Then I listened to it again. And again. And again. The song really grew on me. The song is a song about a girl who desperately wants to switch places with someone so she can live through their hardships for them and spare them the pain.

The song sounds a bit empty. The back track just didn't have that 'umph' that other 80s pop songs had. It feels quite mellow and low maintenance, but in the end it works for the song. I really don't think this is a song I would buy, but I wouldn't change the radio station.

Moving on --



This version is what I feel the song could and should have been. Bentley Jones has a very beautiful voice, and the back track feels fuller with more instruments and a picked up tempo later on in the song. The lyrics remain the same, with a few vocal effects and repeating thrown in every now and then. Bentley released the song on his "Trans//lation 2" album. I feel like he does Kate Bush justice, while still updating the song and making more likeable for the new electronic-music age.

My verdict may disappoint you all. My favorite is actually Bentley Jones's version. I just feel like its more my style of music. 80's experimental stuff bothers me when I listen to it for too long. Well, unless its Dead Or Alive.

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment