Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Drag U Tue - Suddenly Single

This week, Drag U brings us three ladies, who, for one reason or another, have found themselves single and without a clue in the world, but before I get into all the juicy details, I think it would be best to start the day off with a picture of one of my favorite professors -- The fabulous Manila Luzon.



Ahem. Moving on. We are presented with three single ladies. First up is Kris, left in Manila's hands. This construction worker is afraid of being viewed as weak, and says since she's attracted to masculine women (!) she should be what she is attracted to. Second, we have Annie. This girl has a tragic story to tell, and when Ongina found out her boyfriend died just a few months prior, she knew that she had to revive that diva inside of her for her own sake, as well as her lost love. Lastly, we have mother of three Marcia. She gave up everything to go to California and start anew. Shannel (uhg, I know) was set up to be her drag professor.

Before I move on, let me address my beef with Shannel. On the first season of Drag Race, she was really self absorbed and quite annoying; this trend carried over into Drag U season one. Perhaps she learned her lesson, or maybe it was the editing of the previous seasons, but this season of Drag U portrays her in a very different light. As I said in the last Drag U Tue, she is starting to change my opinion on her, and the way she helped and comforted Annie -- who wasn't even her drag student -- made me really think that I may have misjudged Shannel. Ok, miss thang, you are starting to win my heart.

The Dragulator assigned names for the girls. Annie as Gogo West, Kris as Caprice Classic, and Marcia as Loni Fellini. The Dragulator looks were pretty good this time around, but not all of the girls agreed. Most notably was Kris, who thought the Twiggy look she was given just didn't work, and when they tried out wigs, Manila agreed. The others seemed quite content with their given looks.


This week's lesson with Lady Bunny was how to take a good profile picture. Lighting and angles were the key, of course, and the girls took decent pictures. Honestly, they would have been better if they had been dolled up or in their drag looks, but they had to deal with what they had. Also, I just can't get over how big Lady Bunny's hair is. I mean last season she had some redic looks, but this one takes the cake. Her hair makes her at least a foot and a half taller. Some serious hair, hurr.
The dance lesson didn't go as well as the drag lesson. After blindfolding the girls to get their true dance styles when they feel nobody watching, they were taught a routine to a favorite song of mine, Call Me by Blondie. As usual, the girls just didn't seem to catch on very quickly, but all of that was in the background when I cam to the conclusion that Andre, the Dean of Dance, is undeniably cute. I can't believe it's taken me this long to realize it. 

After their one on one talks with President Ru Paul (and a few dramatic moments, including Manila claiming she is being set up with the worst contestant), the girls debut their looks on the stage. I had a hard time picking my favorite. Kris looked like a fabulous sixties gogo dancer -- and Manila even convinced her to wear pink when she refused to for the whole episode. Annie had sequins in every spot you could imagine (ok, so maybe not there) and had a wrist muff that was to die for... but Marcia failed to impress. Her dress was abysmal and made it look like she was wearing a comically huge tie. In the end, Kris won this week, and I have to say I'm satisfied. I feel like she had the biggest transformation and greatest attitude adjustment. 

The trend of the "Drag Tips" and "A Word With Ru" continue in this episode. This weeks word with our Drag U President was "Escandalo" another Ru Classic. I was a bit more confused with the Drag Tips segment, as it was less comical than last week, but at least Carmen was totally hot -- oh and she Nailed It!


'Til next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment