Thursday, June 9, 2011

Album Review - RA

So a guy releases two pretty sick'ning singles. So what? It's not like his entire album could be totally amazing, right? RIGHT? Wrong.



So you see, the name is  S-I-M-O-N and the game is P-O-P. Make's sense right? Let me introduce you (or re-introduce or not since you're probably a member of the Robot Army).  He is a rising star, to say the least. I'd say that getting into the top 20 pop charts on iTunes within a day on an independent label is pretty impressive. The album exudes dark pop and could revitalize the sex drive in your grandmother. Did I mention it is pure sex?



The album opens up with the very strong (and only explicit track) "Laser Guns Up". The track is a very nice intro to what you are getting yourself into. He makes it very clear that the album will exude pop, and informs you to get your laser gun on stun and get ready to roll. This track is easily one of my favorites and I find myself coming back to it frequently.

The album continues to exude pop with the next two songs, the reverse psychology track "Don't Dance" (I'm pretty sure he wants us to dance to this one) and the first single off the album "Superhero". Both are not exactly stand out tracks but keep the basic feel of the album. "Don't Dance" is a nice look into Curtis' falsetto abilities which are more of a background in "Superhero".

According to his twitter, the next song "Pit of Vipers" was originally written for Britney Spears. No idea why she didn't record the song -- this track is pretty hot. It does sound a bit reminiscent of a certain boy band track during the verses, but trust me, you'll forget about all of that when the chorus hits. "Pit of Vipers" is another one of my favorites. While I would have loved to hear Brit sing it, it fits in here better than it would have the more electro-pop Femme Fatale.

Next up is "Chip in Your Head". Now there are two things I am a sucker for in songs: Spelling out words and putting things in reverse. This song has a nice sample of the latter. Simon also mixes things up in this song by showcasing his lower vocal range in the form of a raspy-voiced rap through the song. And  I have to address it -- the "white boy Drake"? Interesting, Mr. Curtis. Very interesting.

"Flesh" is the second single from the album. The song exudes sex and nothing but. The entire song is about how he wants a touch of rough sex in his life once in a while, but when he is in the mood for it he wants it HARD. The song is sang mostly in falsetto and in the honor of Justin Timberlake. Whether I want to or not, I find myself coming back to this song. It may not be my favorite song, but I don't think it's possible to not like it. Cannibal jokes aside, I'm madly obsessed with this song.

My favorite track by far on the album is "How to Start a War". I think it is because this is the most relate-able song for me. "This is not how you make love/This is not what we signed up for/This is not how it's meant to be/This is how you start a war." Every album has a song you really connect to. I've had so many relationships where it seemed like a battle more than a pleasure.

Other notable tracks include the more bi-polar themed track "Joshua" and the quick spinning track "Soul 4 Sale". The entire album is one big sexy romp through the world of dark pop. Now that I have had the chance to sit down and listen to the album through, I can say I finally understand what all the hype is about. Simon Curtis has made a very impressive album. Haven't bought it yet? Do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment