Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Album Review - The New Futures "Radioactive"

The New Futures are one of the bands I've had my eye close on for the past few months. They have been moving quickly, and gaining a lot of momentum. Without wasting any time, they've unleashed their first EP onto the internet entitled Radioactive, and they are ready get you up and jamming.



The EP consists of five tracks, two of which we have been exposed to before. First up is their debut single "Sunshine". I still am in love with this song. It has a very Island/Reggae feel to it, making it stand out in today's music world. It is a great song to get people into the feel of what the EP is going to provide, which is always a great way to start out an album.

The second track is another we've already seen entitled "Ocean". I had a lot less exposure to this song than the previous one, due to it not being out for nearly as long before this EP released. It still has that same vibe from the last track, but instead is a lot more energized. The best part of the track is the chorus, as hard to understand as it is, because the vocalist really lets loose and wails on the vocals. There is also a pretty sweet saxophone solo that leads into an even sweeter guitar solo. It's been a very long time since I've heard a track with instrumental solos. Quite refreshing, if I do say so myself.

"My Own Crime" is a little less polished than the two songs before it, but not exactly in a bad way. It feels a little more raw than their singles. I know I've said it a hundred times about these guys, but they really feel like a throwback to 90s rock. The song is about him pleading for somebody to not give up on him, despite all the wrong he's done in his life. This is a prime example of why indie bands will always have a step up in my heart. They have a much easier time being honest and real with their fans and listeners. They can be about more serious topics in the artists' lives instead of being about mindless fluff -- even though I do love me some mindless fluff.

I really like the fourth track, "Story", which is the slowest of all the songs on the EP. It is the most exposed, consisting mostly of just vocals and acoustic guitar. What I gathered from the song is that there is only one truth. He mentions that what happens can't be changed, and that is how the past will always be. The song's title is used as the pivotal metaphor, the "story" being  "life". Then again, I'm known to completely misread songs, yaknow? Regardless, this was an excellent addition to the collection of songs.

 Everything is concluded with "When I Think Of Love". I love the more uneven beat for the guitars in this track, making it feel much more modern that the rest of the album. This feels more in tune with some of the alternative groups of today's age, and will certainly attract many more people outside of their set genre. This could work in both ways, though, also having the chance to deter people. Composition wise, this track is the most complex, as well as the strongest, showcasing each of the musicians' talents evenly, with each one in the spotlight for a nearly equal amount of time.

Radioactive was exactly what I wanted from The New Futures. This entire EP was focused, and delivered exactly what the two lead-in singles had promised. We had that 90s pop-rock style that has been gone since the days of Sugar Ray. They've also done a great job showcasing the other members of the band, whereas many groups out there tend to be the band members while the vocalist is the face. Most of the tracks had solos for the musicians, giving them a moment to shine in their own light.

The only real negative is the final song. Although it is a great song on it's own, it didn't fit in with the feel of the EP. Many artists today will release an EP with five songs in five different genres, but the whole point of Radioactive was for the guys to showcase their set-in-stone sound that they have become known for. "When I Think Of Love" felt like a bit of a derailment, and there was no further tracks to help get it back onto focus.

The New Futures are definitely a group I will keep the look out for. They've proven themselves time and time again this year that they are not only serious, but seriously good. I think as long as they keep on the same track, and keep that signature sound, they will take off soon enough. In the meantime, I will keep my fingers crossed for a music video to "Ocean".

You can grab the EP on iTunes now!

No comments:

Post a Comment