Saturday, July 27, 2013

Clare Maguire Stuns With New "Paper Thin"

It's been a long while since I've heard anything out of Clare Maguire. As a matter of fact, I'd almost forgotten I'd signed up for her email list. Thankfully she didin't forget I had (or rather her website's automated system didn't) and it informed me she'd put up a new track on SoundCloud. Oh lord did she ever. Check out "Paper Thin".




This song is so emotional and soulful! Running a bit longer than most singles these days, it has more ups and downs than any track I've had come my way in a long time. It starts out as a slower piano piece, with simple electronic drums and a repeating piano part. Slowly, it evolves into something more, and even gets more uptempo and poppy at the end.

What really makes not only the song, but Clare herself stand out is that she has an amazing soulful voice. She reminds me of other famous British voices such as Adele and Amy Winehouse, The song isn't the most moving thing on it's own, but Clare makes it moving. The bit she repeats towards the end "I couldn't get through to you" has her voice shaky, raw, and real. There aren't effects added on in post production. She doesn't need them. She's got talent -- and the views to prove it! (I'm talking 10,000 in just two days).

To be honest, this isn't the first track she's posted since the last time we've seen her, but it is the most promising. This is the most polished of the four on her Soundcloud, and the only one not marked as a demo, which gives me hope that we may get an even more stunning version of this song as her next single. It's about time she throws out a new single. We've been waiting, lady. Please deliver to us soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment