Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Regina Spektor Is Back WIth New TV Theme

I can honestly say I haven't covered Regina Spektor on TOTU before. It's not that I don't like her -- I do -- it's that I haven't had much of a chance to do so in the past. Now that I have the opportunity, I am jumping at it. And you wanna know why? Because it's for one of the greatest TV shows I've seen so far this year. No, I'm not kidding.


I seriously can't get enough of "You've Got Time". I heard it (or at least most of it) at least 13 times as I watched through the series it's attached to, which I'll get to in a moment, and even more times in my car, at my house, and around my "day job". The song is about how prison can change somebody, and to keep in mind that they are still people, even if they'd made bad choices.

This ties in completely with the show it's used as the theme for. Orange Is The New Black is a Netflix Original series based on the book of the same name about a woman named Piper's true story of  her year in prison. The series as phenomenal, has has renewed many people's hopes in Netflix after it's sad revival of fan-favorite Arrested Development. The series has been very well received by viewers and critics alike, and has already been renewed for a second season, which is great because the whole thing ends on a cliffhanger.

The real question is if this show is helping out Regina. Honestly, I think it's the other way around. Seeing a well-known artist like Regina Spektor attached to a project that was based on a book few knew of probably boosted the show's interest as opposed to being the other way around. She is no stranger to having her music on TV, so this was not anything new to her. I do believe this is the first song she's written specifically for a show as opposed to using a previous single, however. It has not been confirmed if "You've Got Time" will be a lead in for an upcoming album, or just a promo single for the show.

Grab the track on iTunes now.

No comments:

Post a Comment