Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Interview: Vivienne Pinay Gives The T

Last week, I had spoken with one of the most memorable queens from this season of RuPaul's Drag Race, Honey Mahogany. Now, in true TOTU style, I am flipping the table and speaking with the other half of the world's most shocking reality TV elimination, Vivienne Pinay. There was so much that the show didn't capture from her, but you bet your ass I got the story. Check it!




Let's start out with my favorite question: Was this your first time auditioning for RuPaul's Drag Race?

Actually no. Season Five was my second time. I auditioned for Season Four and didn't get the call back. I auditioned again the next year and it worked like a charm.

Both you and Ivy Winters were from New York this season. Had you worked with her before the show?

I had never worked with Ivy. I had never seen her around the city. You know I had never heard her name, but New York is a big. There are a million drag queens there. No, I didn't know her at all but I'm glad I met her. We became close on the show.

What about the other New York queens from Drag Race?

Before the show, no. Not many people know that I got my start because I am in the beauty industry. I have been in it for nine years. My thing was not going out every night or every week to perform. I didn't have a schedule as far as going out and performing. New York is a place, too, where it's hard to find a regular gig. I didn't know anyone personally that had been on the show before, but now I do because I'm now in the circle.

What do you mean by you were in the beauty industry?

Ive been a makeup artist and a hair stylist, mainly focusing on hair. I started in Georgia where I am originally from. I started when I was nineteen. I moved to New York, I was there for four years where I worked at a salon in Soho. Mainly I was a hair colorist. My obsession with beauty in general started when I was very very young. That is pretty much where and how I got inspired to do drag. I love playing with makeup and making people feel beautiful so I thought it was about time I made myself feel beautiful.

You are beautiful. It's sad that everyone keeps saying that you look like Jujubee. The bloggers just won't stop with that. Was the comparison a blessing or a curse?

I wouldn't say it is a blessing or a curse. I would just say that it was a big coincidence. I am a very big fan of Juju's and she has been an inspiration to me, but I never pulled from her look to be my inspiration. I think a lot of people see Asian and the fact that we are similar and automatically compare us. I think Juju is fantastic -- I'm one of her biggest fans. I think she is beautiful, talented, and funny. I take that as a compliment. But I think people have me a bit confused. I would never in this world try and be anyone else. Not only that, but there's only one Juju so it would be stupid for me to try. I think people just see some similarities and instantly think that I'm trying to be her. That is not the case.

During the first episode, you did come off as looking a bit Jujubeeish. After that, though, I could see a clear difference. Was this a conscious effort to make yourself look different and did you expect so many people to draw this comparison?

Not at all. I had never heard that until I got to the show and did my promo shoot. One of the makeup artists that was there to do touch ups was the first person to say I look like Juju. Originally I said it was a huge honor, but until then I had never heard that. Actually now that I've been on the show, Ive been compared to every single Asian queen who's been on the show. I've even been compared to Phi Phi and Jiggly, and I don't think I look anything like them or have the same personality as them at all.

Here's a fan question for you: Max Archimedes (@mrmaxlevitt) asks after seeing how the show is edited, do you agree with the critiques?

Here's the thing. Editing is a good thing and a bad thing. Obviously they needed to tell a story for television. I think that I stand by everything I said and did, however a lot of things I said and did was cut out of the show. There was a lot of me that people did not get to see. People did not get to hear the story I had to share. I really wish that had been shown. What I have been through growing up is something I'm sure a lot of people have been through or are currently going through, and part of being on that platform is helping people. I wish that had been shown. I'm actually pretty fun, sarcastic, and funny, and a lot of that was cut out, and so now the whole world thinks I'm boring or bitchy and bitter. That is completely not me at all.

Your story got cut? Can you share it with me?

What I wanted to show the world, and not just as a pity party but to help others, I've been through a lot and overcome it and so can others. I dealt with growing up abandonment issues from my father, domestic violence, growing up with a broken family, growing up gay in the south, being Asian in a small town, and bullying. Dealing with alcoholism also is in my family, and also being in a very long relationship with someone who had an alcohol problem. After going through all of that you have to step back and realize that "You know what? It's all about me now. I've got to live my life to be happy." Nobody is going to make you happy but you. I have learned from everything that I have gone through, it's made me a stronger person. I have a great career, a great boyfriend, and a great life. I just wanted to relay the message that you can't let it hold you back. You have to live your life to make yourself happy.

The way the show was pieced together, they showed you looking very fed up in your final episode. Did this have an effect on your poor lip sync performance?

They did cut out a lot of the lip sync. Also as far as my actual lip sync goes, I need to say something. Drag is not about lip syncing. It's not about being a bar queen or pageant queen. There are so many aspects of drag that I don't think people realize. America has opened their minds obviously with the show, but I think everyone needs to open their minds just a little more and see that drag is an art form. There is no right or wrong way to do it. My whole thing had never been lip syncing. For people to accuse me of being a weak lip syncer, I never claimed to be a big time entertainer. I think a lot of people are trying to read me for something I never claimed to be. As far as me being fed up, yes I was with a few of the queens. I was tired and emotionally drained. Do I think it affected my lip sync at all? No I don't.

Fan Straiden Boylan (@starstrukhayden) asks if you felt like you were giving your 110% during your time on the show.

I'm going to be honest: no. A lot of it had to do with me not being completely there. It's something I had dreamed of doing, being on the show, but when you get there it's not what you'd think. It was just a very new environment. Physically I was there, but mentally I froze up a bit. I wish I had taken a deep breath and enjoyed being in the moment. I wish I had tried to have more fun with it instead of being stressed the whole time.

I know you've probably answered this a hundred times already, but you were part of Drag Race history. I got Honey's side, but how did you feel knowing that you were going home, but at the same time people would always remember. How did you take the situation.

First off, due to there being fourteen girls, I wasn't surprised. Everyone was thinking that something like this would happen. It wasn't a huge surprise, but I didn't know it wasn't me. At the same time, I am trying to make everything positive, and now I am part of Drag Race history. I am thankful for that. All that matter is that people are talking. 

I do a lot of research before I hope into these situations and people just can't seem to get over that you don't pronounce the word "Pinay" correctly.

Yes the way Filipino people say it is Peen-eye, and I get that and have known that for years. I don't see it as a big deal, but I don't want to insult the culture. The way I say it is the way I've always said it. I feel like it sounds better paired with Vivinne. If anyone thinks I did not know the "correct way" to say it, they are wrong. I have a Filipino mom, so of course I know how it's said. Secondly, everywhere I go people say Pinay anyway because that is the way they read it. There would have been confusion, but either way it's just my preference.

How has Drag Race changed the life of Vivinne Pinay?

It has changed things dramatically. From the moment I found out I was on the show, things changed. I'm so thankful for my boyfriend, too, because his life has drastically changed, too. Both of our lives are all about Drag Race for the past year. From filming, learning, growing as an artists. We moved from New York to LA. Ive gotten attention, both positive and negative. Everything has changed, and it's definitely for the best. The show has made me known. They are seeing my talent and my art.

Follow Vivienne on Facebook and Twitter to ask your own questions and get to know her. Want your question featured in an upcoming interview? Follow Taking Over The Universe on Twitter and Facebook for updates on who is next and who you can submit your queries to and get those burning questions answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment