Saturday, October 11, 2014

New JPop Group Color-Code Will Make You Like Dat

It's no secret that I love Jpop. I fell in love with Utada Hikaru as a child, and I became obsessed with Koda Kumi as a teen. From Malice Mizer to Psycho le Cemu and from Ayumi to Megumu Hayashibara, I've been hooked on a genre of music that is based around a language I don't understand much of. Anyway, a new group has rushed onto the scene, and they are threatening to take over. Let's meet Color-Code.




Maybe I just like this video because she's got a Manila Luzon wig on?

Anyway, this group was the result of a huge open call audition. They apparently narrowed things down from over 2000 girls to just three. We have Tsujikawa Nanami (Pink), Yusakawa Marisa (Blue), and Moriyasu Mako (Green). It is the brainchild of Nicola Formichetti, a fashion designer best known for hooking up with Lady Gaga.

The video is very flashy, and the song is very accessible and fun. It feels like they are trying to imitate the current state of American pop music. Hopefully this means that they will be branching out to the United States. So few Jpop acts try and reach over, especially since the few that have failed miserably. I've been holding out hope that since Korean acts such as Girls Generation and Psy have become hits in the US that Japanese artists will give it another shot.

While they fall somewhere between "normal" acts like Ayu or Koda and "weird" acts like Kyary (Pamyuwhatever), they seem to have found a nice medium. Their EP/Maxi single is up for grabs on US iTunes. The second track, "Break My Heart" continues with their more American feel while third song "The Soul's Refrain" comes in more like something you'd hear from a Jpop group, leaving it a bit unclear where their next single will take them.

I'm excited to see where they go from here. It's been a while since a new act has caught my attention from overseas, but as long as they keep releasing music state-side, I'll keep giving them a shot. For now, pick up their debut single on iTunes and prove to Japan that we need Koda Kumi's stuff available here. I mean honestly!

No comments:

Post a Comment