Saturday, October 4, 2014

Countdown Of The Best RuPaul's Drag Race Runway Songs [#TheReturn Day Four]

Believe it or not, this was one of the hardest countdowns I've ever had to do. I have been watching Drag Race since it's first season, and each year I feel like it can't get any better, and yet somehow it usually seems to surprise me. I say "usually" because number six is the one exception. You'll see. Anyway this is just for the main series.No All Stars or Drag U. Let's get started.

6. The Beginning (Season 5)




Yup. I like "The Beginning The least. It was just so forgettable. Compound that onto a season that in itself wasn't remarkable, and you have one of the worst. It's not a bad song (I don't think RuPaul can make a bad song), but it's not really something I would have chosen to front an entire season. I think the concept for the video was strained, and that it didn't really give the girls a g good thumping beat to prance down the runway to. This one was a full miss for me.


 5. Jealous Of My Boogie (Season Two)




This was originally going to be in last place, but then I remembered "The Beginning" existed. "Jealous Of My Boogie" was a fun song, don't get me wrong, but it sounded really under produced; like the track was unfinished. It's true disco vibe really gave the season a throwback feel, even thought they were trying to move forward with the show. Also Raven was robbed! Now that we got the two out of the way that I am not a big fan of comes the hard part. Next we have --

4. Glamazon (Season Four)





Now that we are down to the good ones, my reasons may become much more illogical. I put "Glamazon" beneath the other top contenders because while yes it was a great song to go down the runway on, it was really, really repetitive and could become a chore to listen to in it's full form. It honestly felt like instead of editing the song down to the fun chorus bits for the girls to walk to, they just kept the whole song rolling. Sure there are verses, but they are so hard to distinguish from the rest of the song. That being said, it was still a big leap up in production from the "Champion" album era and a great way to represent the show's flashy new look starting with season four.

3. Covergirl (Season One)




I know what you are thinking. I was complaining about how repetitive and simple the previous songs were. But cmon. A lot of though went into this track. I feel like they were really prepared for the first season, as it probably was a long time coming. It does sound dated and simple now compared to what we have, but it is still a fun song. It screams runway to me, and it was the only season to have a girl actually become part of the season's song with Bebe providing the middle rap section (due to winning the show). Also, as a fun fact, did anyone notice that Lucian, Ru's producer, is the cute gas station attendant? I guess their budget couldn't afford the sexy guys they got in the next season.

2. Sissy That Walk (Season Six)




This one was so hard. I love this track and the next one so much that it really came down to which season was better. "Sissy That Walk" really grew on me over the course of the season. I hated it at the beginning of the show, but over the course of the year I fell in love. It has a wonky beat that makes for some really interesting runway walking and voguing. It would be the perfect runway track if not for...

1. Champion (Season Three)




Maybe it's nostalgia? I don't know. But when I hear that chorus "Oh Oh Oh" line I get so giddy. Season three was the perfect season for me. It was really focused on talents like sewing and singing. They had to make a dress out of nothing but wigs! I mean c'mon. You don't see crap like that in the new seasons. Instead we see wrestling and Broadway challenges. This is the season I miss. These are the girls I miss... Well Raja and Manila anyway. This song is truly my number one Drag Race runway track.

Video is horrible though.

No comments:

Post a Comment