Thursday, October 30, 2014

Exclusive Interview: Neon Hitch And The World's First Fan Label

Neon Hitch took the United States by storm back in 2011 and 2012 with her slew of singles that all became instant Billboard and club hits. We all waited and waited to see what would happen next with her, and yet, nothing did. Now, years later, she's back and major label free with a plan to get her music out there to her fans. Recently she sat down with me to explain the process, and give me a fun inside scoop as to what the future for her, and her new "fan label" concept holds.


 

 You are currently independent, and it hasn't been an easy road for you. What were some of the struggles you went through while attached to a major label?

It's an amazing thing, a blessing. So many people dream for that to happen, and I don't regret anything. I feel like it opened so many doors, but I really hate the feeling of being held back in any way. I'm a rebel, naturally, and I'm very creative. I want tons of albums, and I don't want to be restricted by somebody saying "Well we're not bringing your album out" even if I'm ready to go.

You're a big deal though! Millions of YouTube hits and Billboard success. Why didn't we see an album surface?

Honestly I think everything is timing. I also feel like I wasn't as ready as I am now. I feel like I've evolved and have become the person I've always wanted to be. On that matter, it's fine and it's kind of magical. All about timing. 

How does it feel to be released and able to do whatever you'd like with your music?

It's scary, because it's a lot of responsibility, but at the time it's exciting because I really don't have to follow any rules that I've learned or any formula or guidelines. That feels really good to me because I've never been on to stand aside or go with what the heard is doing. My creative juices are flowing, and I'm coming up with a lot of amazing ideas. I'm out on the bus right now, going out to meet fans personally and share new music. I can't complain.

In your bio you said you actually recorded enough material for several albums while on the label. Will we ever get to hear any of those?

I would never waste any music that I've done. I have hundreds and hundreds of songs that I've made over the past two years. They'll all find a home eventually, whether it's with me or some other artist. I would say first album, I could rework some songs towards my new sound, and others I'll shop to other artists. Aside from that, I have two albums coming. I have  Eleutheromaniac, but we haven't exactly decided on the release time for the second one. Just know it's there, and it's coming.

So you are doing two albums?

I have two! I have a lot of music [laughs] -- and a lot of faith.

What can we know about this mysterious second album?


Basically I wasn't sure whether to call the album Freedom or Eleutheromaniac, and I had these two names, and I thought "Well basically I have two albums worth of music, so I might as well make two." It won't be very long until the second album comes out after Eleutheromaniac. I'm still not sure if I want to title it Freedom, though.

Speaking of shopping songs to other artists, we have a fan question! David (@Vertigo_Shtick) asks: What exactly was your level of involvement with Kesha's "Blah Blah Blah"?

Me and Kesha wrote that together in an old apartment of mine way back in the day. We were drinking whiskey, and we came up with the idea for "Blah Blah Blah" all together. We wrote it on a bed, and it was a complete jam; a full collaboration.

Well I have to say that I think Yard Sale is a complete jam! Is this the new sound for Eleutheromaniac?

The album is very diverse. It has songs like "Yard Sale" that are fun, but then there's songs that are deeper. The whole album has a story, and I feel like with it people will get to know me on a deeper level. I get a bit more honest with my lyrics, and a lot of times I use it for storytelling. I like to call it gypsy-pop.

And I have to say, I may be a bit biased, but I liked your "Wannabe" video, mostly because Pollo Del Mar was there turning it up.

Yes! That was fun. I like to do covers. They can be very fun.

Now for the big question on all of our minds. What exactly is a fan label?

The concept of a fan label is that my fans are so driven and passionate and they want to see me happen. The difference is when people from a label are hired to work on a project, it could end up being something they aren't exactly passionate about. The fan label is a great thing because everybody wants to work on it at all hours. Everybody is doing it because they love it. My fans are so incredibly talented. The art that they do, the ideas, they are so inspiring. I would rather hire my fans that somebody who has a million other projects. Everybody is all on the same page, doing work together. Synchronized.

What are some ways you're getting your fans involved in this process?

They can go to the website, WeRNeon.com and they can sign up to departments for whatever works for them. If they have an idea to submit, they can send it in. The website is where it starts. They can contact me, and I'll give feedback personally. I have my fans do artwork that I'll actually use. They come to the shows and we have street teams. It's whatever works for them.

You have some of the most crazy dedicated fans that I've ever seen. Why is it they feel so connected to you?

Because I don't put a barrier between me and my fans. I don't believe in hierarchy or anyone being better than another. I believe in connections. For example, I do fan experiences. I had a fan the other day who flew down to hang with me at the show. We hung out, partied, and she slept over at my house on my couch. Most people think it's crazy, but I'm like no, it's a dream come true for fans an artists to bond on a friendship level. I've had fans come on the WeRNeon bus, and I played them sneak preview music. We goofed around and had fun. It makes me happy. I have friends where ever I go.

One thing I really like is your sense of humor with the LGBT. Where is your connection to our community?

The LGBT community I feel like is my universe. It's my home. I do all the gay prides I can do. They are usually my favorite shows of all time. It's so amazing to see so many people in one area expressing their freedom. And I don't believe in labels. I believe in love. So without even trying it's something I naturally stand for. My mother is bisexual, and I've had my own experiences. I've always been taught to never see boundaries as far as love goes.

Snuck into the campaign is a little mention of a new single called "Sparks". Is there anything you can tell me on it?

Sparks is a beautiful song. We are going to release it very soon. I have to make final decisions when I get back to LA. We've already come up with the concept of the video, and I'm going to be breathing fire. I want fire everywhere. I've never done that in a video, and I think it's going to be really magical. I'm excited about it, and a lot of other songs. The tour is really taking all of my attention right now, but there is a lot in the works. Lots more music.

What sort of song is "Sparks"?


It's a bit slower, but it's really passionate. It doesn't feel like a slow song because it has that make-you-cry feel. It's a very powerful song.

Can you throw some song names at me?

I'm really excited about one called "Air Stream". It's more urban sounding. It's a club banger. I actually played the title song, "Eleutheromaniac", for fans in the bus the other day and they loved it. It was a song written specifically for my fans.

It's been a long time coming to release this album. How does it feel to finally be able to have your debut album?

It's very exciting. To see it for pre-order on Indie GoGo makes it so much more real. I've been as frustrated as the fans are, but had it come out earlier, the artwork wouldn't have been there, I wouldn't have had the song or title Eleutheromaniac. All of this. It's time now.

I know you talk to your fans a lot, but is there anything, especially now with the campaign going on, is there anything you'd like to say to your fans?

I would like to say thank you, and as much as my fans believe in me, I believe in them. I'm here for you always. Definitely come to one of our shows because this is a journey and we're all on it together. Come get involved! Support Indie GoGo and spread the word!

Be sure and check out Neon's Indie GoGo campaign and help her create her first fan label.

No comments:

Post a Comment