Monday, August 19, 2013

Sorry I Missed It - Wendy Ho "Public Place"

I'd like to say that I don't cover parody songs often, but when it comes to drag queens, it's sort of unavoidable. Thankfully, most of the time they are good. The case is no different when it comes to faux-queen/comedy genius Wendy Ho. Although she is best known for her original tracks, anyone in comedy knows that parodies are huge and often hilarious. For this round, she's chosen pop megastar Rihanna to prod at. Maybe prod isn't the right word.


Wendy Ho, you are always hilarious to me. I had originally heard this track back in December of 2012 when she graced my lovely city with her presence. Back then, the song wasn't completely finished, so it was vastly different from the version that is currently up on iTunes. The version I heard was much closer musically to the original track "We Found Love". Instead of the pulsating electro beats, she's opted to go for a more acoustic sound and more flowing vocals.

The subject matter of the song, as are most of Wendy Ho's songs, is NSFW (I mean c'mon. Her last name is Ho, after all). How do I phrase this as politically correct as possible? Well, she apparently wants to give you a blowjob in every public bathroom in the city. No, really. The track is all about her quest to give oral in public. Too bad she's not a dude. They can just hit up the nearest park for that kinda thing.

What I like best about this song, other than it giving me the most laughs I've had out of a song since Pandora Boxx released "Cooter", is that Wendy is really singing here -- and singing well. A lot of the time she only raps, giving us just a taste of her vocals during a select few choruses. Here, we get a full track of some of her best vocals to date. And here is where I was going to make a joke about Rihanna having after effects on her voice to sound better, but I don't need any more hate mail, ya dig?

You can grab the track on iTunes, and be sure to check out a special version of her performing the track in her home studio below.

No comments:

Post a Comment