Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lady Gaga Teams Up With Drag Race Divas For New Single Promo

Well that title is a mouthful, but it really tells you exactly what you need to know. Earlier this week, Lady Gaga's new single in what feels like ages (after having a new one every week back in 2011/2012) "Applause" was released on the internet, and it has blown up since. Her official lyric video features some very familiar faces, too, from our favorite reality tv show (competition, as not to offend our housewives) RuPaul's Drag Race.



"But GaoSalad," you plead, "You hate Lady Gaga." No, that's not true. While I can only tolerate maybe three songs from her last album, I have to say she does have a knack for making good pop music. It's just that she is so overhyped that I try to give other acts attention over her and other headliners. But this is RuPaul's Drag Race we are talking about here. I can't just leave this alone. This has to be known.

In the video, Gaga is actually the camerawoman, and is filming various drag queens perform to her new single, which exploded all over the world last week. In said club (which I have no idea the name of), many Drag Race alumni made the scene to perform. Among the crew were Shannel from season one, Shangela of Season two and three, Morgan McMichaels of season two, and Detox from season five. There was even a two second clip from backstage of Willam hogging the spotlight again.

God I love Willam.

On a positive note, I have to say I like this song's feel far more than the previous era of Gaga. If this is any indication of what we are getting with Artpop (and remember, I'm skeptical because "Hair" was supposed to be a preview for her last album, but it turned out to be the only outstanding track for me) then I will be happy. I wasn't too crazy about the subject of the song, being a bit simplistic to be coming from a writer who has sewn many innuendos and interpretations into her music in the past, but it's so damn catchy that I can't help but enjoy it.

Right now the album is shrouded in mystery. It's available for preorder on iTunes, but all that is revealed is that it's coming out November 11, and there will be 15 tracks in total. As of now, "Applause" is listed as the final song, but that is also subject to change. Even the album artwork is simply the single cover for "Applause." Tomorrow is supposed to shine even more light on the situation, but I couldn't let my Drag Race faves get passed up another minute.

UPDATE: The official music video is out now! I personally wasn't crazy about the direction they went in. What do you think? Better with or without Drag Race?


No comments:

Post a Comment