Sunday, December 9, 2012

Top Ten: GaoSalad's Favorite Albums Ever (Part One)

The time has come for a list so amazing and massive that it not only must surpass the standard countdown of five, but must also be split into two parts! This post is the first piece of a two part special to kick off the return of the ever popular "Top Five" articles that have been among the most fun and most popular recurring articles on the site! I did my best to think of what I find to be the best albums of all time, and it really did take a lot of thinking. Some of these may catch you off guard, and others you may see coming from a mile away.

Actually, in all honesty I kind of hate doing "Top Five Favorite" posts, because I always feel like I'm forgetting something glaringly obvious. I took about a week to brainstorm and compile this list, so I'm hoping that it reflects me accurately. Some of the picks may be seen through nostalgia goggles, but others are far too fresh for that. The dates range from earlier this year to two decades before I was born. There's no limits and no ass kissing this time -- it's just simply GaoSalad's Top Ten Favorite Albums Ever (Part One)!

10. Scissor Sisters - Magic Hour


How could a LGBT themed music site make a list of top albums and not include the one that spawned the biggest gay anthem of the decade? "Let's Have A Kiki" has become a massive hit for the band in the gay community, and it has placed the group back at the top where they belong. I didn't  choose the album for this song -- at least not entirely. The entire album is amazing from start to finish. I admit it did take a while to grow on me, but once I realized the full brilliance of the piece, it became a permanent part of my musical library. Every single track on the album is relatable for myself, from heatbreak, to longing, to wanting to break free from restrictions. Why so low on the list? Well you'll just have to keep scrolling to see the awesomeness that is the rest of my favorites.

(The 9-6 under the cut!)



9. Le Kid - Oh Alright

Narrowly beating out Scissor Sisters for The Gayest Thing Ever award comes in Le Kid AKA The only thing yo momma ever wanna see. There is just something about Scandinavian pop music that I cannot resist (They aren't the only ones on the list, either). The beats are catchy, the lyrics are cheesy, and the vocals are made of pure bubblegum. Le Kid is no exception, but they do tend to take it a bit further. They took the internet by storm when they appeared as a candidate for the Eurovision Song Contest, and they've now become one of the go-to groups for Scandipop. The only thing keeping the album from reaching a higher placing is it's inability to really stick. While I love the album, and probably will continue to do so for ages, it doesn't have that timeless feeling that many other albums do, leaving it feeling a bit too 2011 to be top notch.

8. Aqua - Aquarium


Don't loose your cool, guys. I know, I know. I am still a huge Aqua fan, and they are still my favorite band of all time, but they are my favorite cumulatively. On an individual album basis, they aren't as strong as some of the lower placements. However, they did beat out many others simply because they are Aqua, the best bubblegum pop band on the planet.  This album set my standard on pop music, and was the first album I ever owned. While all the other kids in school were fangirling over NSYNC or Britney, I was rocking out to "Candyman" and "Roses Are Red". This may be one of the best albums made, but then again, that is my nostalgic side coming out. I placed it at number eight as a show of good faith that I know that just because they can write a dozen songs that can get stuck in your head doesn't mean they are God's gift to music.

7.  Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel To Anything


Pick your jaws up off the floor. Just because I listen to girly pop music you expect me to not have a grungy side? Back in the day when "gothic" was a thing (and it was cool, too), bands like MSI were everywhere. The thing is, unlike most of them who released a bunch of crap, this band managed to release music that was actually fun and hilarious. Often times making a mockery of their fans, it was pretty clear that they didn't really care what anyone thought, and that they were going to keep being as ridiculous as possible for as long as they wanted. To this day I still know every word to every song on this album, which is regrettably short, and I still blame them for my messed up sense of humor.

6. The Veronicas - Hook Me Up


Covering the middle ground, we have one of the best things to come out of Australia (along with Chris Lily), The Veronicas. Though it was "4 Ever" from their first album that got them commercial success, it was the perfect mix of rock and pop that is "Hook Me Up" -- specifically the track "Untouched" -- that pushed them over the edge. My best friend and I took things to the limits when we made our own parody video to Untouched, giving this entire album an eternal spot in my heart (and I'll give ten bucks to anyone who can find said video). I originally had this album at number nine, but the more I looked over each of the tracks, the more I realized how amazingly put together the entire affair was, and slowly it kept creeping it's way down the list until it settled at the half-way mark.


That's all you guys get for today! Do you think I got something out of order? Any predictions for the top five? Comment below. As I said before these are simply the albums I believe are the best of the best. I am in no way discrediting any other artist's work. Unless they are Lady Gaga... in which case I probably will in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment