Saturday, December 8, 2012

Kieran Strange Wishes You A Merry (Undead) Christmas

Call me Scooge, but I hate Christmas. It is probably my least favorite holiday. Not because I hate getting presents or spending time with those I care about, but because it makes artists thinks they can be lazy. Year after year I see different artists release the same old, tired, rehashed X-Mas songs. Every once in a long ass time, however, an artist comes along and releases a holiday track that doesn't suck. Thank God for Kieran Strange.




The video starts off with a well deserved content advisory, letting the kiddies know exactly what they are in for. Kieran doesn't joke around when it comes to zombies. It's srs bidness. The song is actually very amusing, taking a Nightmare Before Christmas approach to the holiday season. Gone is your traditional "Santa Claus is coming to town" and in its place is a zombie freaking apocalypse.

The video is what brings the whole project together. In between cuts of her and her band playing a live set in a small venue are zombies descending upon her, causing her to have to pick up anything she can find to fight back. Initially she grabs a shot gun, but when that runs out of bullets, she has to go for more practical things -- like candy canes.

This is why I love Kieran. She has that fun attitude towards all of her projects, and nothing is ever too serious. She always comes out, guns blazing (sometimes literally) sporting some crazy pink hair and ready to take things on. "Merry Undead Christmas" is no exception to this rule, as the entire video puts a fun spin on X-mas. I mean, how can you go wrong with a zombie Santa?

The song is also up on BandCamp, if you are in love with the track as much as I am. Screw tradition, this year I'm goin' zombie hunting this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment