Sunday, December 16, 2012

Top Ten: GaoSalad's Favorite Albums Ever (Part Two)

So last Sunday I dropped the bomb on you (baby) by telling you some of my rather shocking favorite albums of all time. Some of them I know aren't the greatest, but I just can't help myself. Pop music is an addiction -- but not all of these bad boys are of the pop variety. Prepare for the shock and awe of my Top Five(ish) albums EVER! Well for now. It will probably change next week. Or maybe I had a brain fart. Anyway, commence the listing!

05. The Sounds - Dying To Say This To You


See! I told you that it wouldn't be all pop! The Sounds are basically my generation's Blondie, only without the massive fame and street cred. Their lead singer, Maja, was featured in that Snakes On A Plane Song that Cobra Starship did before they turned to crap, and from there I stumbled upon this album. As a matter of fact, all of their albums are really well done. The first two, this being one of them, were more rock focused, while the last two have really mellowed out. The only reason I chose this album, as well as placed it so high on the list, is due to me knowing every word to every song on this CD. Yes, people, I have my nostalgia goggles on right now. Bite me.

4. Black Kids - Partie Traumatic


Oh, Black Kids. How I love you. I can't even pinpoint what exactly makes me love this group so much. Their music is unlike anything else you would ever find on my iPod. They have beats that sounds like they were ripped straight out of a 50's sci-fi movie, and the singer ends up wailing more than singing most often. But there's so much more to the band. They have a great sense of humor and a flare for writing memorable and unique lyrics. Each song on "Partie Traumatic" just sounds too real to be made up. When it comes down to what and who are my favorites, it's little things that knock people out of the running for that coveted number one spot. The issue here is same-sounding material. I know all of the songs by heart, but half the time I just start singing the lyrics instinctively, as it takes my brain a few moments to catch up and realize exactly what track it playing. I can say that the tracks that were shared with their demo EP "The Wizard Of Ahhs" sound much more polished and "right" here.

3 TIE. No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom


Yup. It's a tie for 3rd place. It's my website, and I reserve the right to be completely irrational whenever I want. On that note, I don't see how any person of sound mind could ever make a list of the best albums of all time and not include No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom". All biased and fanboyisms aside, this is probably not only the best album on the list, both composition wise and plain awesome wise, but also in the history of history itself. Sure their other albums are good, but nothing touches this. Why is it tied for third place, you may ask? Because, as mentioned before, this is my website; I'll be insane all I want.

3 TIE. Space Cowboy - Digital Rock Star


I probably just made half of you throw up in your mouths. I know, I know. Placing Space Cowboy on the same level as No Doubt may be nauseating to some of you, but he is my future husband after all (plus one if you got that ooooold recurring joke!). This album is everything and more that I wanted out of Spacey. His last three albums were decent, but lacked the polished feel of other pop music of the day. Once he finally got on a major record label -- thanks to co-writing most of Gaga's debut -- he was able to release some quality material. This album is almost entirely composed of re-done versions of is last album, "Digital Rock", which explains the extreme similarities in the titles. Plus, he did a duet with Chelsea Korka, the hottest bitch on the planet. What more could you ask for? What about five hot bitches?

2. The Runaways - Live In Japan


These girls practically invented the phrase "bit in Japan". They were never much of a hit here until quite recently (mostly due to the biopic produced by now hugely famous guitarist Joan Jett), but they had a number one single in Japan with "Cherry Bomb", sending them on a string of TV specials and liver performances. At first I had picked their first, self-titled album as my top pick for these girls, but "Live In Japan" came back into my sights and the decision was quite clear. This album captures not only their best songs (sans "Dead End Justice"), and it gives the listener a taste of what it was like to hear this iconic band play live. Were they the best musicians? At the time, no. Were they the first to do what they did? Technically, no. But they had the fire, the passion, and some amazing songs to back them up. I think they did just fine. And did I mention I love Cherie Currie? Like...  probably more than any gay man should.

1. Utada - Exodus


You know what? Screw the haters! This album may have flopped big time in the US, but once again, it was a huge hit in Japan, as well as with me. I bought this album out of good faith back in 2004, and I haven't looked back. Every single track on this album is the perfect fusion of Eastern zen and Western hip-hop and pop. Some of the lyrics may be a little cheesy or unnecessarily dirty, but that is just who Utada is. She may not be my favorite artist of all time, but she did manage to create the closest thing to a perfect album I have ever had the opportunity to listen to. This album has been both on my mp3 players and in my car stereo for going on nine years now, and I'm not sick of it yet. I'd say that means something, right?

There you have it. Most of you probably now think I am messed up in the head, but at least I was honest. I've never been one for liking the over-hyped acts like Katy Perry or Lady Gaga. I've always been about the underdogs -- or sometimes just the people you've never heard of. Then again, isn't that what Taking Over The Universe is all about. If you came here expecting to see "Teenage Dream" or "Fame" as top billings, then this is obviously the first post you've ever read on my site.

Thanks for sticking in for the long haul. This is the first of a string of "Top Five" posts that I have up my sleeve for the coming weeks, as well as a bit of a surprise in bringing back a couple of old and dead stuff that you may be glad to see. Keep the look out and keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment