Saturday, November 24, 2012

MYPHNH(BS) - Tokyo Black "Steal The Night"

Black Friday is always a killer. Moreso this year than any before, I was completely exhausted when I got home. Instead of updating my blog, I got on Facebook like the lazy bitch I am at heart. Upon hovering about, I found myself another "black" that was much more appealing (damn that sounds racist, doesn't it?) -- much more dancey that this Black Friday I'd suffered through. And her name is Tokyo Black. This is Music You Probably Have Never Heard (But Should).




Let me just say that both this video and song are everything to me right now. I have no idea how I hadn't known about her sooner, and why she hasn't exploded everywhere. The song is very much a dance-pop track, tinged with that extremely New York sound that comes packaged with many arits from the area (not that it's a bad thing!). I've had this song on repeat for a little over a day now, and I don't plan on letting up any time soon.

What is amazing about Tokyo herself is that she came out publicly as a transgendered woman. Being an avid member of the LGBT community, I know that often the "T" in "LGBT" is overlooked. The fact that she is putting out music, performing, and going harder than any other new artist I've seen in a long time all the while identifying herself as transgendered is brave and commendable. Let me also say that I was completely sold on the song, under the assumption that she was a drag queen, so this wasn't a gimmick for me.

The song's lyrics seem to be about Tokyo herself, as she was once homeless on the streets of New York, but has since climbed her way back up to the top and is now a respected recording artist in New England, and is expanding her music to conventions and other countries. I'm definitely excited to hear more from her. Tokyo Black's debut album was due out this year, but we all know in the world of independent recording, setbacks happen, so I will keep waiting patiently.

In the meantime, grab her debut single off of iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment