Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Listen - Raja "Sublime"

And from the sky falls a new Raja song. Much like her first track, I guess I just missed the media hype for it (if there was any) but I'm glad I caught it. Raja may not be the next Beyonce, but he knows hot to make a good song, and how to have fun with it. Thus, the second I found out there was a second song, I knew I had to give it a spotlight. Check out "Sublime".


Coming in at just over four minutes, this song is a nice electronic romp at a much more uptempo feeling that Raja's first attempt. The pulsating keyboard track often time overpowers his voice during the verses, but he picks up the volume during the chorus and bridge. This beat was certainly made for dancing in a club, which given that he will probably be performing the track live on his club touring, makes a lot of sense.

Lyrically this song is pretty amusing. Raja never seems to take himself too seriously, even when he does look as fabulous as the look on the cover for the single. Lyrics like "I want you deep inside of me," and "I want your love all over me" chanted in the bridge over such poppy sounding techno beats is an obvious Raja move, having watched him closely on Drag Race season three to catch onto his little quirks.

I had no idea what to expect going into this single. "Diamond Crowned Queen" was a really odd track, and I didn't know if he could pull off a follow up to it. Thankfully, he has kept the music machine moving smoothly, allowing a very hot track to come out with a nice dusting of camp to keep it draggy and fun. Much like his fellow Heather, Manila Luzon, Raja knows how to create a song that, on the surface, sounds very impressive and hot, but doesn't take itself seriously.

I guess now we just have to wait for him to release an equally awesome music video to accompany this track. I can't even imagine what the video would be about or include. I can only hope that the single's cover would be involved in the process somehow, because it looks gorgeous, and if that is what Sublime is to Raja, that is what it should be to everyone.

The track is smart without being preachy, and campy without being silly. It's fun to listen to and yet it keeps itself from falling prey to being overly campy like many other drag songs do. This may be the best song released by a drag queen this ye-- Oh Manila has a new song out. Uhoh.

No comments:

Post a Comment