Monday, August 27, 2012

Song of the Week - Best XXXcessory

I had no choice. It's just too fabulous. One of half of me wants to think that if I keep choosing drag queen tracks for this that they will overrun my entire website (especially with All Stars and Season Five of Drag Race being almost back to back), but the other half of my head just says "F*ck that. It's Manila, bitch!" Guess which side of my brain I listen to more.


I don't know if Manila is capable of making a bad song. She is a very talented song writer and very good at working with what she's got. Is Manila Luzon the best singer ever? No, and she knows it. She is, however, good at balancing fabulousness and camp in a way that just works. This go around she is going for a more electro-rock sound, adding in some pretty rad guitar riffs and a more driving beat. Manila's voice is much more heavily autotuned than "Hot Couture" for the most part -- until the bridge where her voice sounds very raw. This part was probably obviously left that way due to the sincerity in the lyrics.

The lyrics are my favorite part of the song, actually. The entire song is a metaphor for having the best boyfriend in the world. The song is like a personal love letter to Sahara that Manila made into a song. Lines like "You dress me up" and "I could even wear a brown paper bag/cause with you on my arm the kids will gag" show both comedy and caring. This song feels better in almost every aspect to her debut, and that song was practically perfect anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how the hell could I not pick this as Song of the Week?
Everything about it is so sparkly!

Buy the track on iTunes. It's worth it 99cents, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment