Friday, March 13, 2015

Kenyth Mogan Takes Us To Oz With "Unlock Your Heart"

When it comes down to it, I love indie singers. I love finding a vocalist or a group that hasn't received the attention they deserve so I can help shine some light on the situation. Lucky for me, my reputation precedes me, and now apparently people are seeking me out. That's how I met Kenyth Mogan. He asked me to take a look at his new music video, and what can I say? I fell in love.






Isn't this video the cutest? I love the whole Wizard of Oz theme going on. With the gay community's strong ties to both the movie and it's star Judy Garland, this was not a bad route to go at all. The story is relatable for most gay men in that he is in love with his "straight" best friend. The quotation marks are there because by the end, the clunky tin man evolves into a muscle hunk who carries him off into happily ever after. So most guys don't actually end up with the straight guy they fell in love with, but it's a music video, so give him a break!

What I really love about this entire work is that even though it's obviously done on a budget, they don't let that hold them back. Things that may have been CG or done in after effects in a high budget video, they've found ways around or done in real time. Kenyth is not going to let being an independent artist work against him.

"Unlock Your Heart" as a song is a bit of a mixed feeling. It really feels like more effort was put into making the video fun and hot than making the song sound polished. Then again, maybe it was just a restriction he faced in post production with the track. I sound like I'm picking on it, but to be honest it's very fun and light. I just feel like with how great the video looks, it seems to be the weaker link of the project. I do like the style, being a strange mix of club music and singer/songwriter acoustic. I have literally never heard anyone mash together these two styles, especially making it work.

Overall, this is a great video with a fun song to pair with it that has just enough eye. The singer is the star of the video, and the buff nude men are kept to a minimum (for the sake of the story, right?), being a nice juxtaposition to the majority of the male gay artists out there today. In my opinion, Kenyth Mogan is someone you'll definitely wanna give a try.

Be sure and check out Kenyth on Facebook, and grab the single on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment