Sunday, February 3, 2013

Liz Primo Unveils "Margarita"

Imagine my delight when new fave Liz Primo announced via Facebook that she was releasing a new video and single. She didn't waste a lot of time after teasing, either, as the video popped up a few days later. Titled "Margarita", this song is far from what you would expect given her previous musical library. Is it good? Well check it out.



The big shock factor for this song is the most obvious part about it. Liz has made a name for herself releasing radio-ready electro-pop tracks. It's obvious only seconds into this song that something major has changed. In it's place is a new vibe that is set solidly in the genre of Latin music. Upon my first listen to the song, I wasn't too impressed, but as the past few days have gone on, it truly has grown on me.

The song can be a lot to take in at first. She sings the verses of the song in English, telling a story about how she ended a relationship with a guy due to a lying frienemy. The chorus, however, is sang entirely in Spanish. I may have taken a few classes on it in high school, but that was long ago and I didn't give a rat's ass about the class either. From what I gather, though, she wants this guy back.

As far as the video goes, it isn't the most interesting bit. It uses a lot of extended takes of her without any cut-aways, leading for the viewer to become easily distracted. I did like the art direction with the Cinco De Mayo skeleton face, as well as the cute hand drawn pieces such as the heart, but over all, it makes a much more interesting song than a video. Probably my main complaint would have to be that she didn't release a video for "Beautiful Whore", which is my favorite song right now.

The track is available for download on iTunes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment