Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sorry I Missed It: Cherri Bomb Is Now Hey Violet

Remember how much I loved the all girl punk group Cherri Bomb? They were amazing, and their debut album was one of the best first attempts from a new group I had ever heard. Well they kind of disappeared. Well, I thought they did. Turns out they've been around all along, but with a new name. It's about time I caught up with the new incarnation of Cherri Bomb called Hey Violet.





I know, I know. It's a bit of a change from what you heard on their debut album as Cherri Bomb, but the name seems to be symbolic of the change. A few years back, one of the founding members, Julia, made a departure from the band. She was replaced with a guy named Casey who had been good friends with most of the band since they were kids, making him a perfect fit. While I am a huge fan of all girl rock groups (see my obsession with The Runaways), Casey seems to be meshing great with the band, so I don't have too many complaints.

As for the sound change, I'm not as excited. They've gone from pure punk to a fusion of punk and pop. It works, but it's not what I'm used to hearing from them. I guess if I had heard this incarnation first, I would be completely in love. There is nothing wrong with it, but since I heard "Cherri Bomb" first, it kind of put me off a little. Objectively, they are still very talented young adults who know how to rock it out, and the (albeit slight) genre change won't deter me from enjoying them.

As of right now they have one EP out, and a full album on the way. They also have an array of fun videos on Youtube allowing their fans to get to know them either all over again or for the first time. It looks like these guys are destined to be stars, and even with the reset of a name change, they aren't backing down. Just check out their awesome cover of Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" and tell me that they aren't the raddest group you've listened to.




You can pick up their debut EP on iTunes now!

No comments:

Post a Comment