Thursday, October 15, 2015

Steampunk'd Season 1 Episode 8 FINALE [Review]

Well guys, it's been a fun ride, but it's almost over. We have been following these ten talented makers from day one, and now we get to find out who is going to win the 100,000 dollar prize. I have my favorites, and I have my not-so-favorites, but no matter who wins, let's all hope this show gets another season. It was a fun ride, and I want to do it all over again next year. Now without further ado, my finale review.





The episode started out a bit strange because, as Morgan points out, the manor is already filled. Well they all failed to notice that they added a new room to the side. Jeannie showed up to let them all know that things are a bit different this week. They are going to be making a family room, and it had better represent who they are as makers, as well as people. Oh, and did I mention they will each be their own team captains. But for what teams?

In true GSN fashion, they have brought back (almost) the entire cast of the show to help out the makers on their new massive project.  Ave, Tayliss, Charles, James, Karianne, and Lady Hawk walk into the work room, some of them for the first time in a very long time. Morgan was in first place last week, and JW in second place, so they were the ones with the advantages. Morgan picked Lady Hawk and Karianne, JW chose Tayliss and Charles, and Eddie picked Ave and ended up with James (whom he was probably going to pick anyway).

I was really surprised by Miss Morgan here. She isn't a big carpenter or metalworker, yet she picked two people who are better at things like clothing and antiquing. She claims that she did this as an effort to show that she can do it all, but with everything on the line, and with JW and Eddie both picking smart partners (Tayliss and Ave) give that they don't know fashion, it really felt like a huge misstep on her part.


Thankfully, the surprises didn't end with the old team members coming back to help out. They also were told that they had to make two costumes, one for themselves, and one for a provided model. In a flashback to Skin Wars season one, we got to see the makers' family members come in to be the second model. Eddie's son Jacob (who is hot and also legal! Heeeeey!), Miss Morgan's boyfriend Mark, and JW's Wife Katie all come to help out. It was super cute to see a softer side of JW here. We had seen hints of it in his fatherly protection of Tayliss in previous episodes, but here we get to see him smile the most genuine smile I've seen on reality tv in a long time.

The family members proved to be a bit of a distraction for some of the makers. JW really was off his game here, as he was so happy to see his wife that he didn't focus at all. It was really obvious that he wasn't on task, but it was so damn cute to see him happy that I almost didn't care. Morgan really seemed to be distracted as well by her man, but in a much less sense. She really felt she had something to prove, so I think that really drove her to do her best. Eddie was the only one unaffected. I think he really wanted to prove to his son that he was a great man, and it drove him to stay on topic.

As for "drama", there wasn't a whole lot of it. The eliminated makers really knew their place was to help and not to stir the pot. They didn't get in the way, and they were all pretty helpful. The one exception was Lady Hawk, who through no fault of her own got very sick and was shipped off to the hospital. As much as I wanted Tobias to walk through the door and fill in for her, this wasn't staged or sabotage for Morgan, so it didn't happen. Maybe next time! He can be like Shangela from RuPaul's Drag Race and pop out of a box next year.


Stressed for time a bit, the show only gave us a whole two minutes of day three before moving on to the judging. I should mention that awkwardly they have a guest judge this week, the beautiful Dita Von Teese. I don't like it when finale episodes have guest judges because all they know is the one challenge they see at the end. I don't exactly see it as fair, but alas, it wasn't my call. I can say that Thomas is looking stunningly sexy this week, as is the lovely fashionista Jeannie Mai. Anyway, on the judgment!

Steampunk Eddie - I have to say that I was not a fan of his outfit. It didn't look to fit him well, and it just looked kind of "meh". His son's outfit was a lot nicer, and the lights really added to the overall look. The read colors were stunning, and everything tied together very well. The stencils of the gears on the wall brought out the concept of the clock maker he was going for, and made the room cohesive. The fan was yet another Eddie death trap waiting to happen, but this time we don't get a hilarious quote from Thomas about it.

JW - I. Love. This. Room. We finally get to see JW as a person. After being guarded all season long, he let us in. He showed us trinkets that represented both of his children, as well as himself and his wife. I didn't care much for the "heart" centerpiece in the middle of the room, but to each his own. There were so many small details here that made this room my absolute favorite this week. Tayliss did a great job with the apron for JW and the dress for his wife. This room felt like a real room in a real house.

Miss Morgan - I don't know what it was, but I was very off put by the room. The mantelpiece was so cluttered and busy looking. It also didn't feel very steampunk-y, despite some comments from others that disagree with me. I did like her outfits, even if they weren't too functional. She has come a very long way, and it was nice to see a work that really was 100% her doing.

The judges took a long time to deliberate, understandably so, and once again I have to say how out of place Dita was. I love her, and she's always great to see on TV, but she hadn't been there for the whole ride to see these makers evolve into artists. They did mention the win was only going to be based on this challenge (much like Skin Wars season two), so her being there in the end wasn't crippling, but I digress. I wish they had done an overall season-long judging. I know the final product matters, but if someone has been making top notch work all season long and then slipped a bit (you'll see who I mean), the doesn't mean they should falls short.

The makers got called back out, and they let us have it. JW was announced as third place, with Morgan in second. That means that Eddie is our Steampunk'd Champion. I can't say I'm too upset to see him win, as he was definitely talented, but the fact that JW came in third rubbed me the wrong way (see above to get reference here). I personally would have liked to see Ave or Tayliss at the top, but that's just not how it worked out.

It's been a fun ride. Here's hoping for a second season! Long live fun as hell reality shows from GSN!

No comments:

Post a Comment