Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Jem and the Holograms Is Getting A Tribute Album

Billboard broke the news earlier this week that everyone's favorite 80's cartoon that's about to be destroyed by Hollywood, Jem and the Holograms, is getting a tribute album. Now the only question is will this be as bad as that trailer they dropped a while back that I conveniently ignored?


It looks like this one may be a bit more in tune with the source material. The evidence is that it actually has The Misfits listed on the cover (along with the often forgotten Stingers that came in the final season). This gives me a small ray of hope, as I've been longing for more Jem. We do have a lot of question marks when it comes to this release though. Ones that I'm not happy to be waiting two more days for.

First of all here is the track list:
BEAN ("Truly Outrageous")
Chrissie Poland ("LoveSick")
LACES ("Running Like the Wind" and "Gimme Gimme")
Barnaby Bright ("Destiny")
Madi Diaz ("Like a Dream")
Ben Thornewill ("All in the Style")
Meiko ("Abracadabra")
Suzanna Choffel ("Glitter & Gold")
SKYES ("I'm Okay")
Amanda Brown ("The Real Me")
Alice Lee ("Beat This")

So am I the only person who hasn't heard of any of these people ever? I was hoping they could grab someone semi-famous or noteable, but sadly I have no clue who these singers are. I'm not knocking them at all, but for something that is huge, especially given that the movie is coming out soon, I figured we would have bigger names attached to this project.


Secondly, the only track we can listen to so far is "Truly Outrageous" by Bean. It left a bit of an odd taste in my mouth. The song is far extended beyond the minute long track that appeared in Jem. As a matter of fact, all of the songs have been extended, and this worries me a bit. I really hope these iconic songs don't get murdered, especially "Destiny", being that it's my favorite song from the show ever.

This whole project seems risky. It can either be a huge hit with fans, or it can crash and burn and be another reason why we should never do anything but rewatch our old cartoons and never make them into a movie. With G.I. Joe being loathed by fans, things aren't exactly looking up.

For now you can preview the odd version of "Truly Outrageous", as well as preorder the album here.

No comments:

Post a Comment