Tuesday, May 7, 2013

RuPaul's Drag Race Recap - Reunion (Season Five)

So I have decided that since this isn't a "real" episode, I won't make a big to-do about it this week. What will you get with this review, then? A few laughs maybe, some shade, and of course my thoughts on the winner of the fifth season of the best show on television. So why not give this a read? I mean, if you wanna be really terrible, I guess you can skip it.





So some of the pre-winner highlights were: seeing my boo Vivienne again, having the revenge of the Snatch Game, hearing five seconds of Ru's new song with LaToya Jackson, and seeing everyone be incredibly fake. No seriously. Every one of those interviews felt so forced and fake that it made me cringe. There were a few exceptions, like Monica and Viv, but other than that, most everyone seemed to be putting on a smile and avoiding the truth.

The opening had to be one of my least favorite parts. Not only did most of the girls look to be on a lower level than when they were actually on the show (most get better after the show, and believe me I'll get to some of the looks later), but it was too fake feeling. I miss the old days where we didn't even get to see what the girls look like post-show until they are brought out on stage. Now we see them sitting to the side awkwardly for the whole hour and a half, while most of them are only spoken to for about five minutes.

The looks weren't all that hot for the most part. Penny looked like she was trying to evoke the spirit of Mimi Imfurst's infamous space couture.  Alaska's second look of the night had her looking far too old for her own good. Oh, and Jade was a unicorn. Or something. There were some good looks, however. Roxxxy's risk of having flat hair payed off and set her apart from the crowd, and the reveal of Honey's new sexy look was a sight to see -- if you could get past her mountain of hair.

What I do like about the new format for the reunion specials is getting to see the audience. It's like a huge game of Where's Waldo where you try and find as many famous or past guest attendees as possible. Let's see who all I saw:

Sharon Needles
Chad Michaels
Aubrey O'Day
Manila Luzon
Latrice Royale
Tammie Brown
Raja
Raven
Pandora Boxx
Alexis Mateo
Willam Belli
Shangela

Due to my short attention span, I probably missed like fifty. Who did you spot that I missed?

The crowning of the Miss Congeniality was actually the most interesting part for me. I knew it would come down to two of my favorites -- Alyssa and Ivy. As much as I love my southern bell Alyssa, I had to admit the lovableness of Ivy, and in the end she won. Having Latrice hand it off to her was a nice touch, as one can never have too much Royale in their lives.

Bebe, Tya, Raja, Chad, and Sharon all come across the stage to greet the new winner who is dramatically revealed to be JINKX MONSOON! This would have been much less shocking if EVERYONE IN THE WORLD DIDNT LOVE HER ALREADY. But I love her, too, so I'm totally fine with this. For the first year ever, my favorite top three person won. I am satisfied, even if Alyssa should have that crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment