Friday, November 7, 2014

Sorry I MIssed It: Willam Belli, Alaska, and Courtney Act Are American Apparel Ad Girls

How the hell did I miss this? I mean, sure, I saw that Willam Belli, Alaska, and Courtney Act were getting contracts with American Apparel to be models and put out a line of t-shirts, but how did I miss the song and video? Was it because they were so similarly titled? I have no clue! But what I do know is that I know about it now, and if you don't yet, now you will too!






We start off the song with Courtney belting out some amazing (albeit autotuned) vocals, and Alaska having her amazing and quirky comedy with lines like "I like it when you don't touch my hair" and "anus". I was actually kind of surprised that Willam didn't take center stage until a good way into the song (around 30 seconds in), where Courtney had to actually call out the fact that she'd not said anything yet. OK. You've got my attention. [EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that Courtney calling out Willam was about the laser hair removal joke. This makes sense. I took it more as Courtney was trying to get a response from Willam who, up til now, had been sort of staring off into space.]

In true Willam fashion, the songs are a good balance of comedy and listenablity. Far too many times "funny songs" are not something you'd play in your car, but all three of these girls know how to carry a tune, and how to be funny. Great combo. Even when Courtney's comedic timing is off, her two co-stars really pick the pace back up. The jokes and shade extend not only to their Drag Race family, such as calling out Nicole Paige Brooks, but also to pop culture with Ariana Grande. And also there's a poop joke.

But it's the video that completes the experience. It's quite simple. Willam, Courtney, and Alaska look like beautiful women and lay around while near-naked men hang around. That's pretty much it. BUT The guys are really hot. So it makes up for it. Right? Quality wise, we've come to expect that when Willam is involved in a music video it is going to look good as far as production goes, so that's no shocker here.

After the drama of DWV's breakup, it's nice to see that Willam has a few people balancing him out again. Willam is funny, but his former co-stars offered their own brands that were far different, and that's exactly what we get with Alaska, the quirky alien, and Courtney, the pretty snob. While the dynamics are a bit different than DWV, I feel like AWC (trust me, that's the best acronym seeing as the other options are CAW and WAC) has a great vibe to it, and I would love to see them work together on another musical project in the future.

Grab it on iTunes now!

1 comment:

  1. Reference "here Courtney had to actually call out the fact that she'd not said anything yet." No, Courtney said "Laser hair removal. ... Willam, perhaps? because that was a running commentary during Willam's RPDR season that he had a five o'clock shadow.

    ReplyDelete