Monday, September 23, 2013

Controversey! Have We Heard Britney's New Track Before?

So the never-ceasing Miss Britney Spears released a new track recently called "Work Bitch". As I listened to this song, I got the weird feeling that I'd heard it before. At the end, she repeats "work" over and over in a sort of robotic fashion. Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah. This remind anybody else of Cherie Lily?



Ok, let's be fair here in the beginning."Work" is a common word, and the bit of the Britney track is literally the tail end of the song. That doesn't change the fact that they sound pretty much the same, especially from a vocal standpoint. Both of them repeat it in the same speed, and they both say it in the same static manner with the same electronic effects added to their voice. The only difference is that Cherie came several years before hand.

This video was brought to my attention by Cherie's husband Andrew W.K., so as you can imagine, I wasn't sure if it would be biased -- or even serious. After reviewing it myself, I'm a bit torn. It does have a similarity, but it also could easily be a coincidence. This isn't like Vanilla Ice blatantly taking the exact beat from another song, this is two artists who have seemingly separately created a very similar vocal segment. The other side of me knows Cherie is fierce and many artists probably try and copy her style, so why wouldn't Britney want to be like her?

Personally, I wish the rumors about the track sampling RuPaul's classic "Supermodel" had been true. Unfortunately we've been left with a mediocre track that you'll probably be force fed over the radio. How's that for a soapbox, people?

No comments:

Post a Comment