Saturday, June 18, 2011

Album Review - Let It Out

Sometimes you can't seem to find anything worthwhile in the music scene. I can go weeks without finding anything that catches my attention. It seems like when I search out a good album, I never find one, but when Im just snooping aimlessly around on iTunes, I find a gem. Thank god I had some extra cash this time. Check it.






The album starts off very well. The song "White Flag" is up first and was the debut single for the album. The song exudes the current state of dance/pop music, and I can't seem to get enough her voice. The lyrics are very sharp and quick and make for a very pumped up and cute single. I find myself singing this song unintentionally at work all the time, and I'm sure my co-workers are tied of hearing a sporadic "Up. Down. Turn around there you are."

The second single (and ironically second song on the album) is another very solid track featuring Eric Billinger. The song isn't as high energy as the previous tune, but it is still a good listen. Eric is a talented singer and has a big role in the song for a featured artist, but it is a warm welcome as he meshes with Ashlyne very well, and his rap not only fits with the song, and doesnt muddy it up (Can anyone say Katy Perry E.T.?).

The title track comes in at the end of album, and I have really mixed feelings about it. The drum line in the background makes me wanna spell out 'bananas' more than anything else. As the song progresses it starts to sound more like Natasha Bedingfield than the rest of the album which depresses me. The song ends up redeeming itself at the end, however because by now I'm sure you've realized I am a sucker for spelling words in songs. I feel like I should be concerned about having such an awkward obsession, but I think it would be best to move on for now!

I find myself skipping over the slower tracks "Runaway" and "Run To You". I don't think they are bad, per say, but they are just not as dancey as the rest of the album and that is what I really craved after hearing the two singles. "Runaway" seems to be a bit of a dabble in country music -- IE not my thing. Moving on...

My favorite track on the album is definitely "Knockout". The song is about being sucker punched by love; having it come out of left field and kicking you in the face. Sure, its not 100% relateable, but the track is really beat-driven and her lyrics and metaphors are quite clever. I'm quite surprised this wasn't a single released prior to the album's release. The bridge of the song really showcases her vocal talents and is definitely the best part of the song -- easily the best part of the entire album.

I usually don't review bonus tracks, but from what I can tell, it's on the physical CD as well as iTunes, so I'm not sure what is so "bonus" about it. "Begin Again" fits with the feel of the album very well, keeping the high energy of the first half of the album. It feels more 90's than anything to me, dropping the techno dance beats for real instruments and that true summer teen-movie feel. I feel like this would have been my jam back when all I listened to was the Legally Blonde soundtrack... I was like ten, OK?

The album is very fun and fast paced, which is actually it's biggest problem. It's only nine tracks long! I mean really? I need more of this girl in my life. I feel like there were some good tracks left out for some reason. I don't see any indications of it being a mini album, so the short length works against it to some degree. On the plus side, it's cheaper than most albums coming in at $7.99 on iTunes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment